2nd Conference of the Addiction and the Family International Network AFINet
9 september van 16:00 - 11 september van 17:00
Parents, partners, siblings, children – there are more than 100 million family members (and close friends) of people with addiction problems
who are affected by being close to someone with an alcohol, drug or gambling problem. These Affected Family Members (AFMs) are largely neglected by policy makers, commissioners of services, practitioners and researchers.
AFINet is an International Network dedicated to bring together these researchers, policy makers, commissioners and practitioners to promote research about the experiences of family members affected by their relatives’ addictions around the world and to promote good, evidencebased prevention and treatment practice relevant to the needs of AFMs.
At the conference you will
- Get ideas of the best work from across the world (32 countries currently have at least one AFINet member);
- Have the opportunity to network, and collaborate on further research, practice and policy development projects;
- Help set the agenda for future work to better understand and respond to the needs of AFMs.
- Dr Gallus Bischof, Germany
- Dr Cassandra Borges Bortolon, Brazil
- Dr Abhijit Nadkarni, India
- Prof Gera Nagelhout, the Netherlands
- Prof Jim Orford, United Kingdom
- Dr Tuuli Pitkänen, Finland
- Prof Richard Velleman, United Kingdom & India
- Prof Anne Whittaker, United Kingdom
Call for abstracts
To apply to the conference committee to present a paper or a service evaluation please complete the Abstract Submission Form by 1 May 2020.
- The conference is free for students, those from LMICs, and those who have no other source of funding (such as retirees, those with no institutional support, or NGO’s with little or no money for conferences).
- For others, the cost (including lunch and daytime refreshments) for this 2.5-day conference:
• 135 euro for AFINet members
• 170 euro for non-members (membership of AFINet is free, non-members can apply on the AFINet website).
- (Optional) dinner on Wednesday and Thursday at a cost of 35 euro per meal.
- Day rates are 50 euro for members or 75 euro for nonmembers.
- Additional training costs about the theory and implementation of the 5-Step Method: see registration form.
Due to support from the City of Rotterdam, up to 500 euro contribution towards travel, accommodation and subsistence will be available for delegates who are students, from low and middle income countries, or for those who have no other source of funding (such as retirees, those with no institutional support, or NGO’s with little or no money for conferences). If you wish to apply for a bursary, please complete the relevant section in the Registration Form.